Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Mother Jones - Editorial Internship aka: "The Displaced Autoworker"

This is an idea I've had swirling in my head for quite some time now. Coming from Michigan and growing up in a line-worker's household, this is a topic near and dear to my heart. If I don't get into the program, I will try my best to get it published because these stories need to be told.

I figured using it as an into to my cover letter was one way of getting started...

Many are just waiting for the next buyout. Autoworkers at the General Motors Powertrain Willow Run Transmission Plant in Ypsilanti, Michigan know, one way or another, their days are numbered. According to GM’s Global Operations website, there are 1,454 hourly and 219 salaried employees left at this location. How many of those 1,673 people will need to find a new job when the plant closes?

Well, each of The Big Three automakers does offer resources to help guide displaced workers through their options: get a college degree, open a franchise, or start driving a truck… but is it enough? And for those who have tried taking a shot at something new—is it working out?

No comments: